an eTA Canada Or Study Permit

Canada is one of the 10 best countries in the world to live in, which is one of the reasons it is a popular destination for students as well. A visa or other travel authorization is required to pursue studies or spend a semester in Canada. The type of visa or travel authorization you need depends on the length of your studies and stay.

In some cases it is not necessary to apply for a visa or a specific study permit and you can enter Canada with an eTA. For longer stays, however, an eTA is not sufficient and it is necessary to apply for a study permit (a type of student visa).

eTA Canada

The acronym eTA stands for “electronic Travel Authorization”, or, in Italian, electronic travel authorization. The eTA Canada is, therefore, a digital travel authorization to travel to Canada. People from countries eligible for the eTA (including Italy) who meet all the necessary requirements, in many cases, do not need to apply for a visa but can travel to Canada with the eTA. (Lorazepam) The eTA travel authorization can easily be requested using an online application form. The request takes a few minutes and the procedure takes place entirely online, which is why it is not necessary to go to the consulate or embassy.

The eTA Canada can be used for vacations, visits to family and / or friends in Canada, business travel and to pursue studies in Canada, provided that the stay (including studies) in Canada is less than six months.

Travelers who can take advantage of the eTA are advised to apply for this travel authorization instead of a visa, as the eTA is cheaper, easier and faster to apply. ETA applications are usually approved within a few hours, while the processing of a visa application for Canada can take several weeks. The eTA Canada must be requested before departure.

Study permit

A study permit is not, strictly speaking, a visa, but a study permit for Canada. The study permit authorizes the holder to study in Canada, but not to enter the country. In addition to the study permit, an eTA is therefore required to enter Canada. The eTA Canada is automatically granted to anyone who receives a study permit for Canada. Therefore, it is not necessary to apply for the eTA separately.

With a study permit, you can only study at certain educational institutions, i.e. those approved by a Canadian provincial or territorial government. These are the educational institutions on the list of Designated Learning Institutions (DLI).

To apply for a study permit, a letter of invitation from the educational institution in question is required. You must also be able to demonstrate that you have sufficient financial means for the entire stay in Canada. To apply for an eTA Canada, these documents are not required.

Is eTA Canada sufficient or is a study permit required?

It depends on the duration of the studies whether an eTA Canada is sufficient, or whether a study permit is also required. With an eTA, you can study in Canada for up to 6 months, which is why the eTA travel authorization is often sufficient for one semester in Canada. If your studies in Canada exceed 6 months, you need to apply for a study permit.

Since the eTA is easier, faster and cheaper to apply than a study permit, it is advisable to apply for a study permit only if your stay in Canada lasts more than 6 months or if you do not meet all the requirements for the eTA. . One of the requirements for the eTA, for example, is that the passport with which the travel authorization was requested and which will be used for the trip is valid for the entire stay in Canada and at least one other day after departure.

Before applying for an eTA or a study permit, always check very carefully what the requirements are to be met.